> error: copying /n/boot/386/9load: '/tmp/replica00098100' permission denied

Not somthing as trivial as you have no /tmp? (its usually bound to $home/tmp in
profile).

> So is the proper thing to do to convert a new install to a cpu/file server
> (fossil)
> to change ownership of all files to bootes?

This is definitely not necessary.

My senario at home: I have a single combined cpu/auth/file server,
my hostowner is bootes.

When I want to do a pull I run "cpu -u bootes", as $cpu points to this server
I loopback and get a new prompt, but this time as bootes (think of it like
the unix su(1) command, though you don't get the console's namespace).
I beleive
Now I can run pull(1) from /usr/glenda/bin/rc/ and get my updates.

> sys/src/9/omap/screen.c: not replicated; will not update

I wonder if your replica databases have got in a mess? Somone whith more
nous of replicas internals may be able to help there.

-Steve