> Wasn't that what we found just last week regarding the
> /dev/sd00/nvram thing?  This is
> on native Plan 9, (er, under VMware), not 9vx or anything
> like that.  The filesystem is
> fossil, not kfs.

The file servers that maintain on-disk file systems
like kfs, fossil, kenfs, etc. all do use groups in
the expected way.  Part of the reason they can easily
do so is that they have the file that lists the groups.
The in-kernel file servers and many of the user space
file servers that don't provide persistent data storage
do not fully handle groups.  This isn't too surprising
since they might well be running without a persistent
disk-based file system present.  So the fossil file
system does use groups, but the server that provides
/dev/sd00 does not.

BLS