On 14.11.2010 10:10, tlaro...@polynum.com wrote:
> Furthermore, the auto* and libtool were typically made
> for trying to do something "working" to some extend with a chaotic
> source. They typically manage to compile "things" written by
> programmers who have been encouraged to look at the finger ignoring
> the moon: to concentrate on the "GNU" tools and "GNU" libraries
> etc, and not on C89 (or C99), POSIX etc.

Heh. Pure C99 code (with no GNU extensions or OS specific stuff
whatsoever) doesn't compile with pcc unless you avoid some of the really
useful features and some of the standard headers. I can quote the C99
standard if you doubt this.

I have successfully avoided using autoconf and similar stuff in my
projects by adhering to strict C99, but in an ironic twist of fate, Plan
9 will be the OS that forces me to use something like autoconf due to
the limited C99 support.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

--