On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 10:19 PM, David Leimbach <leim...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, November 16, 2010, Russ Cox <r...@swtch.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 5:43 PM, David Leimbach <leim...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I'm trying to figure out how to correctly sync a plan9port venti instance so
>>> I can start it back up again and have it actually function :-).
>>> using venti/sync doesn't appear to get the job done...
>>
>> It should.  Not using venti/sync should work too since
>> vac etc all sync before hanging up.  The flushicache/flushdcache
>> trick will make restarting a little faster, but it should not
>> be necessary for correctness and shouldn't even be
>> that much faster.
>
> I did a kill TERM... should the signal handler have cleaned up or was
> I supposed to send HUP?

There's no cleanup.  The data's on disk after a sync RPC,
which is what venti/sync does and also what vac does when
it is done.  Venti's writes are ordered so that the on-disk state
is always recoverable.  Because of that, there's no explicit
shutdown: you just kill the server however you like.

Russ