> Note, that neither plainTex nor troff handle
> cross-references,
> automatic equation numbering, footnote numbering, table of
> contents,
> etc. Nonetheless, mainly these listed features are often so
> needed.
> ... What I am
> trying to get
> is something like eplain, but for troff. And I wanted to
> have a look
> at how some things are to be done. And to not invent a
> wheel, I asked
> for some *simple* macros, which must have been used e.g. in
> the
> mentioned books in my 1st contribution.

I'd suggest digging around for macro sets people created for
various schools' thesis and dissertation formats.  I expect
several of us have done that and have included auto numbering
of chapters, sections, equations, tables, figures, etc.  If
I look hard enough, I might even be able to find the ones I
did 20 some-odd years ago for my master's thesis, but I'm
pretty sure I won't get able to get to it until at least this
weekend.

BLS