> The new build incantation is:
>
> cd $GOROOT/src/pkg
> make clean
> mkdir -p $GROOT/bin/plan9
> GOOS=plan9 GOBIN=$GOROOT/bin/plan9 make -k install

I won't try this until the mmap problem you refer to is resolved, so a
question is in order: are the plan 9 tools essential to the operation
of 8l with GOOS=plan9 and will they be found by default or will one
need to make sure that the PATH is set to find them ahead of the Linux
ones?

Wait.  You are talking about a.out executables, these are specifically
for the Plan 9 environment, aren't they?  I guess I need to look for
myself :-)

Alternatively, is it sufficient to specify a different GOBIN or does
the PATH need to be changed?  I think I know the answer to this
question is that the PATH needs changing, but I am normally wrong in
these matters.

++L