On 3 July 2011 13:51, erik quanstrom <quans...@labs.coraid.com> wrote:
> what i was trying to say is that even in that case, i think gio is a weak
> model.  it goes back to the vms/dos days where the method of access
> becomes part of the name.  that is, i need to know if it's accessed via
> http or ftp or local to access a file.  further, i can't have a path like
> /usr/quanstro/remote/http://my.other.site/some/path.  i have to attach
> devices at the root.

Yeah, that's true. Still, that's not *too* different from Plan 9
binding: you have to know the protocol in order to mount a drive,
after all. I know very little about GVFS, admittedly, but it would
make sense if you *could* run the equivalent to Plan 9's bind(), so
you'd say,

% bind http://example.net/some/path ~/example

That's pretty much the same as running the appropriate fileserver and
then binding the result, only GVFS works out what daemon you need.

> and i'm pretty sure i can't modify what's accessable
> without recompiling everything that uses the gnome vfs stuff.

I think you can add more filesystems without recompiling anything,
though I don't know for sure.

I think it works quite well conceptually, though I'm really not a fan
of linking everything into DBus and so on. Still, in terms of bringing
Plan 9 to a "wider audience", GNOME might be a way. Of course, it
would be rather a lot nicer if Linux could just work out its issues
and stop relying on CAP_SYS_ADMIN, but that doesn't seem likely.

On the topic of Plan 9, I was thinking an interesting fileserver would
be one which, if you access '/uri/http:/example.net', looks up in a
table the fileserver required for 'http:', and hands the request over
automatically. That way you get the same as GVFS, only without the
DBus snafu. I don't know if anyone's already done that.

Thanks,
cls