> Vera (I think from your contrib) works very well for me, I find that
> it looks good and has good enough coverage for all my uses.

ah, great.

> The biggest challenge with Plan 9 fonts is getting the heights right;
> often converted ttfs will have the bottom of "g" and a lot of the
> non-ASCII characters cut off at either top or bottom.

the problem is that libframe assumes that all glyphs in a font have
the same nominal character box.  this isn't the case with most fonts,
especially when you have caps with hats, or little bits hanging off the
bottom of low-hanging glyphs.  also some proportial fonts
have a few glpyhs that hang out of their nominal box.  libframe is not
prepared for this, and the naive rubout doesn't do a good job.

the fix of course is to add stringheight() to libdraw and percolate these
changes on through so that the assumption that all characters are the
same height can be gotten rid of.  also i would think that being a little
more sophisticated about overlapped bounding boxes would be good.