> The biggest challenge with Plan 9 fonts is getting the heights right;
> often converted ttfs will have the bottom of "g" and a lot of the
> non-ASCII characters cut off at either top or bottom.

that's why I try to stay in the very narrow band of sizes 13 and 14 :)
bdf2subf did a much better job at properly sizing fonts.

now that you've made me look, there's a magic constant used for sizing
in main.c:611 of freetype-plan9 (ttf2subf). the constant 64 works well
for sizes 13-14 but not for smaller sizes. if you lower that to 48 you
can get even "size 10" to display well. raising it up to 72 causes
even "size 13" to exhibit glyphs chopped from above/below.

of course, that means that the 'size' parameter to ttf2subf is just a hint :)

this screenshot shows three rio sessions started with 13*72
(top-left), 13*48 (top right) and 10*48 (bottom-right):

http://mirtchovski.com/screenshots/dejavu-small.png