Another data point:

The DH61DL motherboard has both vga and dvi outputs from the same
graphics core (integrated in the i5 chip), and my lcd monitor has
both vga and dvi inputs.  So I'm able to do an A-B experiment where
the only variable is analog vs digital connection to the monitor.  See
http://plan9.cs.bell-labs.com/sources/contrib/miller/vga-vs-dvi.jpg for
a photo of the result with monochrome font /pelm/unicode.9.

The dvi connection (on the right) makes the letters much sharper -
note especially the lowercase 'm'.  Surprisingly, from a distance I
find the vga version easier to read, because the blurring makes the
vertical strokes a bit thicker and therefore darker against the light
background.  Readers with younger eyes might find otherwise.