On Thursday 30 of August 2012 10:41:38 erik quanstrom wrote:
> what i was saying is that mk knows and insures that the output files
> are there.  the fact that it's not in the middle of the conversation is
> an implementation detail, imho.
>
> that is, mk is built on the assumption that programs communicate through
> files; $O^c communicates to $O^l by producing .$O files.  mk rules
> know this.

shouldn't be the case for rules with virtual targets (V). such rules are
always executed, and the order should only depend on implementatino of DAG
traversing. ``Files may be made in any order that respects the preceding
restrictions'', from manpage.

if mk was used for executing grep in parallel, prerequisites would be actual
files, but targets would be virtual; probably 1...$NPROC targets per
directory.

anyway, a meld of Rc shell and mk? crazy idea.

--
dexen deVries

I'm sorry that this was such a long lett­er, but I didn't have time to write
you a short one. -- Bla­ise Pasc­al