On Tue Jan  8 05:53:23 EST 2013, 9f...@hamnavoe.com wrote:
> > many drivers needed a rewrite anyway (like usb audio) because they
> > where a total mess.
>
> There are plenty of things in Plan 9 still in need of improvement
> or even rewriting.  That's why it makes me sad to see our small
> community being made even smaller when some of the most skilled
> programmers direct their efforts into splintering off their own
> little playgrounds instead of helping to make Plan 9 better for
> everyone.

i agree with this.  i am unhappy with the current state of things,
too.

however, i find most of the things i've done are not interesting to
all folks.  so what to do: (a) discard the work, or (b) keep a
difference.  suppose you need that bit to do your job?  suppose
the difference helps someone's machine boot?  and once
you have a few "required" diffs, then it's easy for the trivial to creep
in.  especially in the face of any reformatting.

i think that it's possible for someone like you, who is in fact skilled,
to navigate these dilemmas with well-crafted changes.

but i have not been able to.