For example, looking at what go install does wrt what a few mkfiles would
    do for the same go source is illustrative of what I'm trying to say.

I've never seen a mkfile that builds a transitive dependency graph
given only the source code, downloads the relative dependencies from
the network, builds all the dependencies, and installs the result. Yes
mk could do that, but it would need a lot of help, and that help is
not going to materialize. Why use mk when the source code has all the
information you need to build the program?

I was a big fan of mk, and it (or make, depending) is still used to
help bootstrap the Go installation, but honestly I do not miss writing
mkfiles one bit.

-rob