> if mk understood 8c's construct ``#pragma lib "libbio.a"'' and used it to
> link
> correct libraries, it could be said to understand the actual dependencies as
> expressed by code.

> of course, the deeper you go into this rabbit hole, the closer you get to
> something resembling GNU autotools.

I went half way down this hole in the form of mkmk(1) in contrib.
This as written in an attempt to auto-generate mkfiles for non-plan9
code (in the limit, packages that use autotools).

I was a fairly successfull, but not totally reliable. It needs to
include a complete C preprocessor, and for autotools code, it also
understands some of that packages foibles.

-Steve