On 03/25/2013 11:57 AM, lu...@proxima.alt.za wrote:
>> Yes, I run Go on native Plan9,
>
> Go breaks away from a number of traditions that have long become
> obsolete and that is its main merit.  The price is not only in having
> to adjust to the change, but also in some sacred cows being
> slaughtered in the process.
>
> But Go also opens the door to better ways of doing things.  The build
> system, raw as it still is, is streets ahead of any conventional build
> system, but it is tightly coupled to the language.  Portability across
> platforms is much easier, in the Plan 9 tradition, but requires a set
> of build tools ([568][ac]) that users are not familiar with and [568]l
> becomes the new bottleneck, to many users' surprise.
> Cross-development - my favourite feature - becomes much easier, but I
> am having a great deal of trouble getting my head around all the
> complications it brings with it.
>
> Philosophically, Plan 9 has rattled the proverbial cage and Go is an
> earthquake by comparison.  The outcome is still to be evaluated.  But
> not everyone is going to see it in the same way.
>
> Of relevance here is that if Rob and Russ and Ken had let
> considerations such as pampering slow hardware, we'd have a different
> language and many features would not be available.  At the same time,
> the need for a slim version of Go will grow with acceptance of the fat
> model and then people like Kurt may be inspired to restore in the
> linker the ability to trim libraries of unused modules (don't hold
> your breath!).
>
> If the Go developers had started from the other end, as I would have
> been tempted to do, the outcome would definitely look nothing like
> what we have.
>
> The nice bit is that there are enough people out there to consider
> such options and some of them are actually willing to publish their
> efforts.
>
> The people who insists that ONE tool should encompass all these
> options are those who are too unproductive to do it themselves and
> fail to see that no-one owes them.
>
> In my other life managing a backpackers, I see way too many young
> people who seem to think that our generation somehow owe them
> something they are able but not willing to seek for themselves.  I
> could tell you where most of them seem to come from, but I'm sure that
> would be unfair to all those they leave behind while spending money
> they did not earn to travel in comfort around the world.
>
> ++L
>
> PS:   Gorka is making amazing progress with the plan9/arm port and the
>       reason I know is that I've just tested his latest efforts on the
>       Sheevaplug and the present obstacle does not seem unsurmountable -
>       but it is very real, so "it's not working yet".  Watch golang-dev
>       on Google Groups for updates.

For me Go is an overkill in same line and, or manner as is Java; I hate
Java, C# and the .NET in particular; Have not checked Inferno/Limbo as
yet to the requisite depth...

Q. What is GC (Garbage collection)?
A. Yet another approach to create inefficiency in the programmers :P

--
Balwinder S 'bdheeman' Dheeman
(http://werc.homelinux.net/contact/)

"GNU/Linux, developed by volunteers, is much better, but it's not
the best as yet. Do you too work on making a difference?"