On 2013-05-03, at 1:59 PM, ge...@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote:

> I tried putting our index on a single OCZ SSD and it died during buildindex.
> The SSD was completely unresponsive thereafter, which is pretty
> appalling behaviour for a storage device.  Having since sworn off
> OCZ, I would try again with a pair of Intel 330s in a RAID.

A couple of months ago I tried cloning my existing fossil+venti to an OCZ
Vertex 3.  I did the partitioning and setup by hand and everything seemed to go
just fine: the arenas copied and verified, fossil initialized, and I could run
and mount the fossil from the SSD, but whenever I tried to boot from it it
failed very early on with "I/O error" and that was that.  I didn't have any
spare time to mess around with it so I just stuck with the existing disk.

I was running a really bastardized mix of old and new boot software, so it's
quite possible I screwed up installing the correct MBR and boot loader.  But it
might also have been a problem with the BIOS or SATA controller on the
motherboard -- it's a slightly ancient Supermicro Atom 1U, and it doesn't like
SATA hard disks, either (it's currently talking to an IDE disk).  I didn't have
time to try 9atom.

That said, the limited testing I did with the secondary fossil+venti showed it
to be quite zippy, within the limitations of the surrounding motherboard
hardware.  Certainly it was noticeably faster than the hard disk for, e.g., mk
all.

--lyndon