On 2013-05-03, at 6:31 PM, cinap_len...@gmx.de wrote:

> ocz seems to have a bad reputation. just googled "intel ssd broken"
> and you get tons of results from people with broken/dead ocz ssd's.

Disk drive reliability comes and goes with the seasons.  For years I only ran
Seagate disks, and wouldn't go near WD.  Then, after a 30% failure run on < 1
year old Seagates, I switched back to WDs, which have been flawless for me.  So
far.  And Hitachi has drifted in and out of the picture over the years.

Ask anyone else and they will tell you a partially to completely different
story.  At $80 for a couple of TB, I'll just toss them out when they break.
And while SSD isn't anywhere near that inexpensive yet, it's finally down into
the price range where you can call it commodity disk.  These days I'm paying a
bit under $1/GB for SSD.  That's cheap enough that I can afford to experiment
with smaller sized drives in non-critical applications.

I have a FreeBSD box that's been running off an OCZ Vertex 3 for a few months
now without issue. It does regular buildworlds and the like, so I'm not gentle
on the write volume.  UFS TRIM support seems to work fine, and if you chose to
believe the smart stats, the (128 GB) disk is error free after having many TB
written to it.  Many claim Sandforce disks will blow up well before this.  I'm
beginning to think otherwise, although my sample space is not statistically
significant.

I have a pair of Vertex 4s I haven't installed yet.  I'm curious to see how
much (or if) the new OCZ controllers work.  The benchmarks I've read are
impressive.  I'm planning to put one into my Mac Mini.  If MacOS and its
several hundred GB VM footprint can't kill an SSD, nothing will ;-)

--lyndon