On Fri Jun 28 12:27:26 EDT 2013, silicon.pengui...@gmail.com wrote:
> I've downloaded the plan9.iso image twice from
> http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9/download.html
>
> Once about two weeks ago, once today.  Both times I extracted the
> plan9.iso.bz2 file to plan9.iso.  Both times I burned the image to a
> cd, and both times the program(k3b) told me the image wasn't the same
> size as the header suggests??
>
> Upon trying to boot off the cd I get this:
>
> boot from cd :
> PBSR...EI
> _ <----- blinking cursor

these are two, unrelated issues.

the .iso size issue should not be a big deal.  there appears to be some
accounting that's off for cd-roms in the plan 9 iso burning software.
(mk9660(8)).

the new boot process can sometimes fail on new hardware.
you might try the 9atom iso

        hget http://ftp.9atom.org/other/9atom.iso.bz2

this iso uses the traditional el-torito method.  unfortunately,
the installer is size-constrained (1.44MB) and doesn't support usb.

while the image

        hget http://ftp.9atom.org/other/9atom.nboot.iso.bz2

has the new installer which uses bios to access the hard drive
without el-torito emulation, and thus has no size constraints.
while it does fail on more hardware, it does support usb during
the install.

the images

        http://ftp.9atom.org/other/+9atom.nboot.iso.bz2
        http://ftp.9atom.org/other/+9atom.nboot.iso.bz2

are untested, and shouldn't be used unless you wish to verify
they work.  if you do, please let me know offlist what the
results are.  i keep forgetting to do this.