erik quanstrom ha scritto:
On Tue Mar 25 01:51:36 EDT 2014, adriano.vera...@mail.com wrote:
A few weeks ago i wrote about an unkillable manager of usb barcode
readers.  That code worked perfectly for 5+ years, with absolutely no
changes.

IMHO the problem seems to be a change in Bell kernel sources, as under
9Atom all works as expected.

Unfortunately I can't say what is the last working release, because
the problem has been noted for the first time some weeks ago, but the
kernel is rebuilt frequently and the sources are upgraded, non
regularly, 3/4 times in a year.
that's interesting.  what state are these processes in what are
the backtraces?
The task is basically a customized keyboard manager which
open a channel in /srv. When running ps shows 4 instances, as it
is started by usbd and forks 3 times.

Unplugging the reader all four processes must (should) terminate.
On Bell, since a while ago, only three die. Then, when plugging in again
there is a spurious process which doesn't allow the other (new 4) to work.

Kill nor slay works, the only solution is a reboot.

Internal debug prints (#ifdef, no code changes) show exactly the same
under Bell and Atom. In both cases, when unplugging, the manager
notify the condition, notify it terminates but under Bell this doesn't
actually happen.

I regret not to have more detailed info. I suspect there is something
changed in the detach primitives or so. But its only a very personal opinion.

adriano