> When I manually make this command (what 'hg' does)...
>
> ssh xxx.yyy.zzz "hg init test"
>

> ...the result is:
>
> bash: hg: Command not found...
>

> When I manually modify it...
>

> ssh xxx.yyy.zzz 'hg init test'
>
> ...the result is...
>
> !Adding key: proto=pass server=xxx.yyy.zzz service=ssh user=pavel
> password:
> !
>
> ...and the remote repository is successfully created.
>
> Therefore I though the problem is wrong usage of " instead of ' in the
> mercurial port...

i think you're really close.  hg and python really assume a posix
environment, or windows.  so the plan 9 port uses ape, not the
native environment.  therefore, based on what you're reporting,
i would think that the problem is that hg is not using a bourne-
like shell to execute commands.  which version of hg are you
using?  i'm pretty sure that jeff's version use ape/psh to execute
commands, but not positive.  it must use psh to be posix-y.