On Thu, 17 Jul 2014 11:14:01 PDT Bakul Shah <ba...@bitblocks.com> wrote:

> On Jul 17, 2014, at 9:56 AM, erik quanstrom <quans...@quanstro.net> wrote:
>
> > i would think the same approach would work with fossil.  of course one
> > would need a more sophisticated solution than "just wait forever", due to
> > the tcp connection.
>
> There is no particular reason for it to be tcp given lack of any
> authentication. The beauty of CAS is that it need not even talk
> to the same server!

To expand this a bit:

So long as a server returns a block corresponding to its SHA1
score, you (the client) don't care whether it is the same
server you wrote the original block to or another (and you can
always verify the returned block). This opens up some
interesting choices. For instance, you can multicast each read
or write or you can set up a hierarchy of servers and switch
to another one (or even get different blocks from different
instances). How the writes are handled/replicated.stored is
entirely upto the server (cluster).  Or you can implement a
bittorrent like facility on top of venti (I call it bitventi
or b20).

I have been playing with Lucho's 'govt' package to explore
stuff like this (though staying with the current venti wire
protocol for now).