Hello,

> i think it will go the same way with fork protection.  how do you tell which
> program
> is at fault?  how do you tell a program forking at high frequency, with short
> lived
> children from a fork bomb?  (such as a busy web server.)

only system administrator knows which processes should keep running.
therefore, as Lyndon mentioned, we need a mark “don’t kill by resource
exhaustion” to processes.
if automatic determination is desired, the last stage of /rc/bin/cpurc and
/rc/bin/termrc may be the right place.

> i'm not sure i understand what you mean by "traditional programming style"
> here
> as plan 9 exists in part to break unix rules.

as Eric mentioned, we have many many codes such as
        p = malloc(n);
        if(p == nil){
        }
or
        switch(pid = fork()) {/* assign = */
        case -1:
                sysfatal("fork: %r");
        case 0:
        default:
        }
I have beeb writing codes believing those error return is working.