Hugo Rivera <uai...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Why do you want gawk on plan9?

I appreciate knowing about portability issues. :-)

> I use awk a lot (on plan9 and elsewhere) and I wonder what reasons do
> you have to use gawk over plan9's awk.

Many features and extensions over standard awk. Different people will
assign different levels of value to said features and extensions.
A partial list:

- The previously discussed dynamic plug-in facility
- And awk-level debugger
- A statement count profiler (and a pretty printer)
- True arrays of arrays
- Many more built-in functions and variables. In retrospect, some of these
  are just bloat and I'd have been better off without them.

Arnold