confirmed.  it's existence is due to early gnu programs fighting with small
variations in unix and compilers.  byron's rc used a small script to the same
effect.  but for the most part, this all could be avoided with careful planning
and not using esoteric functions.

gcc also had its own configuration step.  the header rewriting is a vestage of
this system.

- erik