static web pages, remote login (so that I can power/depower other hardware)
and file remote file distribution (via scp) mostly.

The main requirement is very low standby power consumption so that it can
survive on batteries which are recharged using solar panels.

Power consumption was the main reason for switching from laptops (~12W) to
Reaspberry Pis (1.2W)..

The other advantage to the raspberry pi is that it is a cheap commodity
item - if I have one misbehave, I can just swap it out and throw it away.
However, other than failing SSD's, the raspberry Pis have proved very
reliable.