Actually, there has been a trend towards standardising the device tree, and I
can run ARM5 binaries on an ARMv7 without hassles.

The jump to ARM64 does have some constraints, but I haven’t come across
anything significant yet (at least on Linux).

And you _will_ have ARM laptops (in volume) very soon — and I’m not talking
about Chromebooks.

R.