> Try git9's git/compat instead of standalone rc script.  It still
> seems to be work in progress, but as it's actual stated purpose is
> for go get, maybe it will work for you.

I just tried the repo in question. Git/compat was broken with
it, so I fixed it.

And, yes -- 'git/compat' is definitely a work in progress,
so patches are welcome. Thanks to halfwit for stepping up
to the plate and writing it.

For the curious, here's what was going wrong:

- go get calls 'git submodule init' unconditionally, and
  git/compat barfed even if there were no submodules. Now
  it treats it as a no-op if there are no submodules, and
  only barfs when it needs to. (Making it handle submodules
  would be even better!)

- git/fetch had a bug parsing offset deltas, which is why
  they weren't enabled.

- googlesource.com's git server is buggy. It ignores the
  capabilities I sent, and generates offset deltas, so
  I fixed the bug in the implementation.