A slight correction (I made it earlier but didn't highlight it): 5a is also
used for Thumb code, as "5a -t" to restrict the input to thumb
constructions and tag the output as Thumb code (using .t files instead of
.5)
The thumb mkfile sets AS=5a -t
Since the Thumb-2 changes aren't supported, and it's the original Thumb, I
think that makes the supported architecture Armv6-M in current
documentation terms.
It looks to me as though it would work on Cortex M0, but I think the thumb
mode was only ever used by us on ARM's little Armv7-t Evaluator board,
which I can't even find documented now.
Normally even that board ran in (normal) ARM32 mode. The Thumb work on it
was just a stepping stone for using Thumb mode on a proprietary 3rd party
ARM implementation, although even there it was probably experimental.
Inferno can run without an MMU. Even given an MMU it sets a fairly flat map
across physical memory and the MMU functionality is mainly used to map
devices.
The os/ks32 directory is a guide to squashing the system down to fit modest
if not tiny memory (again, in ARM32 mode).