On Tue, Mar 22, 2022 at 11:09:24PM +0000, Stuart Morrow wrote:
> On 01/02/2022, Ben Hancock <b...@benghancock.com> wrote:
> > as well but have yet to become adept at the trackpoint. Do you find
> > you're able to sweep lines as easily using it in acme as with a physical
> > mouse?
>
> A trackpoint isn't a real three-button mouse by Acme's standards. "A
> real three-button mouse" is something that supports one-to-one
> finger-to-button. A trackpoint is a two-button mouse with an
> additional scroll button. It's designed for Windows and OS/2.

That scroll button nonsense is a function of the Windows driver. On all
Thinkpads the buttons present as a normal three-button mouse, with
left, middle, and right-click.  Using a better operating system, or
failing to install the Trackpoint drivers, leads to normal
functionality.

This is also true of trackpoint-laden keyboards with the sole exception
of the Lenovo "ThinkPad Compact Keyboard with Trackpoint" family of
USB/Bluetooth models, and thanks to aiju a firmware fix is available to
repair some of those.

> Plus, trackpoint users will often accidentally type 'u', which on Plan
> 9 means you lose what's in your snarf buffer.

I have never seen a trackpoint user accidentally type 'u', and this is
coming from someone who has used trackpoints as their primary pointing
device from the late 1990s until about six months ago.  How exactly did
you come to this conclusion?  I wonder if this is unique to a particular
model?  I have at least one of every IBM, Lexmark, or Dolch produced
trackpoint keyboard, and I'd love to try to reproduce.

khm