On 5/11/24 14:59, Dan Cross wrote:
> On Sat, May 11, 2024 at 3:36 PM hiro <23h...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> explanation of dp9ik, which while useful, only
>>> addresses what (I believe) Richard was referring to in passing, simply
>>> noting the small key size of DES and how the shared secret is
>>> vulnerable to dictionary attacks.
>>
>> i don't remember what richard was mentioning, but the small key size
>> wasn't the only issue, the second issue is that this can be done
>> completely offline. why do you say "only", what do you think is
>> missing that should have been documented in addition to that?
>
> Probably how a random teenager could break it in an afternoon. :-)

If we agree that:

1) p9sk1 allows the shared secret to be brute-forced offline.
2) The average consumer machine is fast enough to make a large amount of
attempts in a short time,
   in other words triple DES is not computationally hard to brute force these
days.

I don't know how you don't see how this is trivial to do.
A teenager can learn to download hashcat, all that is missing from this right
now is some python
script to get the encrypted shared secret from a running p9sk1 server. All the
code for doing
this is already written in C as part of the distribution, you just have to only
do half the
negotiation and break out. I think you vastly underestimate the resourcefulness
of teenagers.

I had previously stated I would publish the PoC that friends of mine in
university built
as part of their class, I have been asked to not do that so I will not.

- moody