On Tue, May 14, 2024 at 03:44:37PM -0400, Wes Kussmaul wrote:

> On 5/14/24 15:05, tlaro...@kergis.com wrote:
> >
> > I don't know if black holes do exist but I'm convinced that there are
> > already, out there, software implementations of black holes: things
> > that will collapse under their own weight.
>
> The biggest black hole of them all: https://silibandia.com

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/article/2024/may/09/unisuper-google-cloud-issue-account-access

"Google Cloud accidentally deletes UniSuper's online account due to
`unprecedented misconfiguration'

Super fund boss and Google Cloud global CEO issue joint statement
apologising for `extremely frustrating and disappointing' outage"

Well, I work on GIS. A points cloud is something that one has to
interpret, looking at it from far, and that disappears once you zoom
for a special information. This is also an inorganized collection of
data (this is only the one who looks at it from far that organizes the
picture). For it to be useful, it has to be replaced by organized
information that you extract from it. This is not then a cloud anymore...

I guess this also explains why I had from the beginning absolute
distrust to the whole hyped thing---whatever the provider.
Distributed, load balancing, tightly coupled multiprocessing, fault
tolerant internal system: yes. My system "somewhere", administrated by
"someone", shared with "everyone": no.
--
        Thierry Laronde <tlaronde +AT+ kergis +dot+ com>
                     http://www.kergis.com/