On Thu, May 16, 2024 at 10:13:45AM +0100, Andrew Back wrote:
> On 16/05/2024 09:54, tlaro...@kergis.com wrote:
>
> > I add these that I finally found (not easily) in France. From
> > Microchip, the expensive:
> >
> > https://www.mouser.fr/ProductDetail/494-MPFSICICLE-KITES
> >
> > and this:
> >
> > https://www.mouser.fr/ProductDetail/Microchip-Technology/MPFS-DISCO-KIT?qs=mELouGlnn3f1eYzoy8b3wQ%3D%3D
> >
> > If someone has a technical advice (in the hardware area, I'm a
> > beginner) about whether the expensive one is justified because it will
> > allow far more information for debugging, testing etc. I will gladly
> > listen.
>
> The Microchip dev kit has an on-board programmer, whereas with BeagleV Fire
> you need to buy a USB programmer, but the cheaper of the two options is
> around 100 Euro. This is used to load the bitstream which configures the
> FPGA and I wasn't sure about RISC-V CPU debug, but a quick search turned up
> this page on the Zephyr website which suggests that the same FlashPro5/6
> hardware can be used with GDB.
>
> https://docs.zephyrproject.org/latest/boards/beagle/beaglev_fire/doc/index.html#debugging
>
> Other than that it looks like the official dev kit maybe has more I/O and
> also a full size PCIe slot, rather than M.2. You'd need to compare the
> datasheets, but generally speaking the official dev kit will be aimed more
> at companies who want to do custom hardware designs and so it may have
> things like additional test points, and will be the officially supported
> platform if you're working with Microchip. Whereas the BeagleV Fire board is
> targeted more at enthusiasts and being more accessible.

Thanks once more for your advice.

I finally went for BeagleV-Fire, and since it was available from
France, I bought it here:

https://www.mouser.fr/ProductDetail/BeagleBoard-by-Seeed-Studio/102110898?qs=HoCaDK9Nz5eU8X3%252BpFx5gw%3D%3D

--
        Thierry Laronde <tlaronde +AT+ kergis +dot+ com>
                     http://www.kergis.com/