I realize now I didn't answer with respect to the comparison to mirroring from
fs(3). These fundamentally solve different problem, fs(3) mirror is for online
disk mirroring. As in you have two drives in your machine and you want your
machine to use both of them for redundant storage(think RAID). Where as
venti/mirrorareans is designed for offline backups that are not always online.
You boot up some slow big drive (or other media) and write your arenas to
weekly/monthly/whatever. There really isn't much to compare between the two
because the function they fit is entirely different from each other. It would
be more interesting I think to compare the usefulness of this program as
compared to venti/copy, since from a 50 ft view they seem to solve the same
problem. I presume the reasoning here is mirrorarenas avoids the overhead of
(potentially) running two instances of venti on the same machine to facilitate
the duplication of data at a higher level.

I don't see the lack of response here as an issue,  this original question
hasn't even been up for 24 hours yet. I think its a bit silly to say that this
is an unreasonable amount of time to wait for a proper answer. If someone wants
to participate and wants to challenge their understanding by suggesting to
others how they think things work, I see no problem. However I also do not
think its unreasonable for people to be upset at objectively false (and easily
verifiable) information.