I think the proposed solution would benefit from a description of the
perceived problem.

9P *already* multiplexes lots of I/O across multiple QIDs.

We've been here before, so many times. Floren spent some time back in 2008
measuring a couple hundred million 9p packets transactions, in the lab and
across the US. You can read the result in his thesis. Multiplexing across
multiple QIDs was not the issue.

I'm unable to understand how Homa and QUIC could solve any of the problems
I've measured over the last 30 years.

How would QUIC help 9p performance? I.e., what bit of code can you point to
in the kernel that QUIC would improve? Where are your numbers?



On Sun, Sep 27, 2026 at 9:32 PM Thaddeus Woskowiak <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Another protocol approach to improving 9P performance might be QUIC.
> You could multiplex IO on multiple open qid's without hitting
> congestion issues. It is also designed for the internet and runs over
> UDP to avoid protocol ossification making it a bit more practical. It
> also performs a fast, simple handshake and integrates TLS.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QUIC
>
> On Tue, Sep 22, 2026 at 1:48 AM Skip Tavakkolian
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > I will preface this by acknowledging that I know very little about the
> > details of the protocol and I could be totally off the mark.
> >
> > I only recently found out about Ousterhout's latest project from this
> > recent talk. Homa protocol is based on the paper referenced below. My
> > first impression is that the 9P (RPC) on top of IL seem very similar
> > to one of Homa's features -- the receiver-driven congestion control.
> > I'm also wondering if a variation of IL could implement these
> > features, or if 9P could benefit from use of Homa.  Has anyone done
> > any deep thinking?
> >
> > Ousterhout's talk
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ8WWZzoaR0
> >
> > Homa: A Receiver-Driven Low-Latency Transport Protocol Using Network
> Priorities
> > https://people.csail.mit.edu/alizadeh/papers/homa-sigcomm18.pdf

------------------------------------------
9fans: 9fans
Permalink: 
https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/Td0379c45387a908c-Mc7fea5d30ff6d28b2b150a81
Delivery options: https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/subscription

Reply via email to