> I wonder, how many 9fans are *actually* using CPU servers?

You and Ron both confirm my experience.  The CPU server I have runs
applications: e-mail, web, wiki, that type of thing.  I can't use it
to render Geotiffs as I have better resources (physical memory, CPU
cycles, SWAP) in my workstation.  I guess if I had homogenous
hardware, I would allocate new resources where they are more
beneficial (that's where the CPU server would consolidate the benefits
of such resources), but the mish-mash of obsolete hardware I have
accumulated just does not allow me to do so.

Something in that picture is worrying, because the file server is
still a focal point and centralising processing power ought to be
analogous, but empirically, they seem to be poles apart.

It seems to me that the authors of the early Plan 9 papers would
arrive to very different pictures if they were to consider our
conditions vis-a-vis computing resources and telecommunication
channels.

In particular, the 100MHz Cyclone connection between CPU server and
file server always suggests a reality check to me.

++L