i thought about that. it really seems like the "right" solution in
once sense. it moves history completely out of the purview of
the shell. the bonus is that you would have history for every application.

the downside is that you would have history for every application. that's
explicitly not what i want. the input to ed/sam -d editing sessions interleaved
with mail and rc commands doesn't seem very useful to me.

rio thus "feels" to me like the wrong level at which to implement this
functionality.

to summarize:

a. rio doesn't know if the input is an rc command or input to, say, sam -d.

b. it would be nice to improve on the old history mechanism; rio doesn't have
enough information to do this. e.g.

        1. syntax errors shouldn't be logged to the history
        2. multiline statements should be recalled as a unit.

for me (a) would be a big problem. (b) hasn't been solved in a
decade, so i guess i can live with it. ;-)

- erik

Charles Forsyth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes