On Fri, 2007-05-04 at 16:53 +1000, Bruce Ellis wrote:
> isn't it bleeding obvious by now that asm is dumb.

  I don't think it is obvious, no.

> a function call into something in a *.s file will do.

  You're not seriously making this statement, are you?

> you'll find a few entry points in your fave l.s.
>
> can i say dumb-asm on this list?
>
> i saw an attempt of ill-informed cleverness where spl() etc
> were picked up by the compiler and inlined.
>
> i guess he had nothing else to do with his life.
>
> maybe a 0.02% speedup.

  Using asm has nothing to do with hand optimzing the inner
loops these days. Most use of asm  I see happens when C as a language
just doesn't have adequate semantics to map into underlying
hardware capabilities.

Thanks,
Roman.