> I mentioned in passing some time ago that I was working on a venti
> server that uses Amazon S3 as a storage backend. There is now code in
> /n/sources/contrib/rcbilson/s3venti . Beware sharp edges. I have
> pumped a fair amount of test data through it successfully, but I
> wouldn't recommend trusting anything important to it yet. There is a
> man page.
>
> I started writing it under plan9, but for irrelevant reasons later
> switched to plan9port, so that's where it's known to work (on Linux,
> at least). I would hope and expect that moving it back to native plan9
> would be a small job.
>
> Questions and comments are welcome.

neat stuff.

i took a quick look at pricing -- $0.15/gb/month plus $0.10/gb to transfer
data in.  assuming it's the data motel and it never checks out,
500GB would cost $1500 to store for a year.  but 1GB would cost
just $3.  this seems nice -- my fs has only 2.5GB of stuff.  and even
at my cost of $100 for the recycled machine, that $1.60/gb/month.
but i would need to cache all that locally & have a duplicate copy.
so what usage senerio do you have in mind for venti/s3?

skip: what are the principles of operation of s3fs?  what's the advantage
over venti?

- erik