> Do you mean why doesn't the ctl file accept partition commands?
> You can always use fs(3) for that.  But usb root is not very
> practical anyway, at least with uhci, because of a stubborn
> bug in the driver which makes transfers very very slow.  Now
> there's ohci support I would be interested to know if that works
> at more like normal usb speed.

you're assuming that i want to continue to do i/o once i've booted. :-)
the basic problem is that, e.g., ich9r boards have no pata at all.  it used to
be easy to boot from CF or a DOM.  but that's becoming more of a
problem.  booting from usb might be the only cheep solid-state choice.

geoff pointed out that usb/disk pulls in a lot of stuff and might need
some work to run in the kernel.  so perhaps i don't fully appreciate
how interconnected /dev/usb?, usb/usbd, and usb/disk.  i was under
the impression that usb/disk was just a bit of glue that turns an
endpoint into a block device.

- erik