As another guitarist I prefer to see the chord printed only when it changes
(or when it may change, as with a phrase that might be started from two
other phrases, each ending in different chords).

Printing the chord only where it changes makes it much easier to spot
coming chord changes.

As for notating when the guitarist should shut up, either "tacet" or a
quarter-rest symbol printed on the chord line works for me.

<GROANER>
Which reminds me of the jazz sax player who was asked to sit in with an
orchestra.  Suddenly he takes off in a wild solo at a most inappropriate
time.  After the performance the conductor asks him what the heck he was
doing.  The guy says, well, my sheet music said "take it," so I took it...
</GROANER>

John Atchley

On Thursday, September 21, 2000 6:43 AM, Laura Conrad