>>>>> "jc" == jc  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

    jc> One thing that I wondered about a while  back,  but  didn't  get  any
    jc> response from:  I've seen music that uses a "broken bar", in the form
    jc> of short vertical dashes (either between the staff lines or  crossing
    jc> them).   This  is useful, for instance, in an urtext edition in which
    jc> you'd like to cut the bars in half for  readability,  but  you  still
    jc> want to indicate which bar lines were in the original. It's also used
    jc> in Balkan and Middle Eastern music to break up long bars  in  complex
    jc> rhythms, again for readability.

I've also seen it in rhythmically complex "classical" music.  For
instance, a 7/4 bar that can be read as a 4/4 bar followed by a 3/4
bar will have a broken bar line in the middle.

--
Laura (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] , http://www.laymusic.org )

(Note the email and homepage address changes; please update your
address book, bookmarks, and links.)