    Frank> So, the standard clearly states that global accidentals is
    Frank> *not* a part of the key signature.

John has been campaigning to change that, on the grounds that nobody
has ever been known to use it.  I know you suggested that we start
from scratch, so let me rephrase that:

Many people feel that the current syntax for global accidentals which
are not part of the key signature would be more useful and intuitive
if it were used for accidentals which are part of the key signature.

        Does anyone actually use the current syntax?  If so, can you
        post an example?

        If you do, would you mind if the display of your ABC file were
        changed, to have the accidental in the key signature instead
        of applied to every note?

        Would you still mind if the standard changed, and a conversion
        tool were supplied which automatically converted your file to
        have the accidentals applied to every note?

In general I'm as against changing the standard in ways which break
existing ABC as the next person, but if nobody has ever used that part
of the standard, and there is way to use the syntax for something
which lots of people are dying to use, I don't think we should be
dogmatic.

I do think that the minute we change the standard in a way that
potentially breaks existing ABC, we should put in a version keyword,
so that ambiguity is avoided, and automated conversion tools are
possible.

--
Laura (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] , http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097  fax: (801) 365-6574