On Sun, Aug 12, 2001 at 11:03:51PM +0100, Phil Taylor wrote:
| John Chambers wrote:
|
| >It's not obvious to me how the above I lines would apply to this. The
| >first  would just mean that the tune wouldn't be in the index at all.
| >The second would mean that all MIDI  requests  would  get  the  first
| >tune,  in  which case you might as well not bother (unless that's the
| >tune that the user asked for).
|
| What should happen in the second case is that when that tune appears
| in a list of hits, the buttons which retrieve GIF, ps or midi would
| be disabled, and the abc button would retrieve the whole file.
| (I've no idea how easy that would be to implement - presumably the
| index would need an extra field to hold the information.)

This can be done when working with a real GUI toolkit, but to do this
with HTML pages and CGI scripts means redirecting the user to a new
page with the given UI properties.  The other solution is to write an
applet in Java or Python (use the Java implementation called Jython)
that will use AWT/Swing and basically be a "real" application, though
it runs on the clients system so it would need a way to remotely
access the index and the actual data.

-D