Jack Campin said -

>BarFly doesn't *have* output; it's a text editor, it doesn't enforce
>any ABC dialect any more than Emacs does.

Don't text editors have output?

I am not a Mac user so I have no direct experience of the nature of BarFly, but I do know that a number of people have posted tunes in abc generated by using BarFly.  From where I'm standing these are BarFly output.  They appear to have various characteristics which make them incompatible with the abc software available to me.  Do these not arise from the use of BarFly, or is it just that all BarFly users are working to a different definition of the abc standard?

>On the other hand, a common specification (a real one, rather than the
>handwaving in the current documents or purely syntactic stuff like
>Henrik's BNF) would benefit everybody without introducing new problems
>like this.  What formalisms would all the developers find readable?

Excellent!  Keep pushing at that idea.

Bryan Creer