>|| What the accidentals =3D, ^, _ mean? Are they "absolute" (e g "_e" means
>|| "e flat") or are they in relation to the key (e g "=3De" means "e flat"
>|| in Bb major)?
>| They're absolute, just as in conventional music notation.
> Just out of curiosity, are there any musical  traditions/styles  that
> use  a  relative  (or cumulative) approach?  I've never seen any, but
> that doesn't mean they don't exist.

It's quite common in early music for a sharp-turned-45-degrees sign to
mean either a sharp or a naturalization of a flat.

> This seems somewhat related to the old question of the persistence of
> accidentals.   Current conventional practice is that accidentals last
> to the next bar line, but there are several musical styles  that  use
> the "only the one note" rule.  This is true for European music before
> 1600 or so, and also for much modern music (especially  atonal).

Looking up the first two atonal scores that came to hand, neither of
them do this.  Robert Crawford's Variations for Recorder and Piano uses
the ordinary to-the-next-barline rule, and Schoenberg's Variations for
Orchestra uses a third rule, "every note gets an accidental on its
first occurrence in a bar, and that accidental stays in force until
there is a change in pitch" (there are a lot of repeated notes in the
score).  I think Webern did the same, but can't find a score at the
moment.