>>repeat signs are bars,
> I don't think so.  At a quick glance, seven out of the first twelve
> tunes in the Northumbrian Piper's Tune Book have repeat symbols that
> don't coincide with bars.

Okay, I guess both I and the 1.6 standard are wrong on that.

> For instance, I want to be able to do this -
>
>X:1
>T:Brighton Camp
>I:abc2nwc
>M:4/4
>L:1/8
>K:G
>|:gf|e2dc B2A2|B2G2E2D2|G2G2GABc|d4B2gf|
>e2dc B2A2|B2G2E2G2|FG A2D2EF|G4G2:|
>|:dc|B2d2e2f2|g2dc BA G2|Bc d2e2f2|g4f2gf|
>e2dc B2A2|B2G2E2G2|FG A2D2EF|G4G2:|
>
> Leaving out the first |: would be no problem but I prefer to keep the second.
> Insisting that repeat symbols coincide with barlines produces something like -
>
>gf|:e2dc B2A2|B2G2E2D2|G2G2GABc|d4B2gf|
>e2dc B2A2|B2G2E2G2|FG A2D2EF|1G4G2gf:|2G4G2dc|]
>B2d2e2f2|g2dc BA G2|Bc d2e2f2|g4f2gf|
>e2dc B2A2|B2G2E2G2|FG A2D2EF|1G4G2dc:|2G4G2|]
>
> which is unnecessarily complicated and ambiguous about where the repeat
> of the second half starts.

You're right about the unnecessary complication, but the convention in
sources like Kerr's is absolutely clear.  If ABC had a nested-repeat
construction there would be an ambiguity, but that's years away.

I just looked that tune up in O'Neill's 1001 (it's #972).  There is
a notational convention there that I really *don't* think we oughta
emulate... read a dotted crotchet as a minim???  For this one, he
did put a repeat at the start of the line (he does it different ways
in different places in the same book).  Kerr (v3, The Girl I Left
Behind Me) puts the whole tune on one line with no initial repeat
and a double-sided repeat in the middle, his usual practice for tunes
short enough to fit.

Does anybody's software support O'Neill's attitude to clefs and key
signatures? - "one per tune is enough".  I think I've seen that in
other Irish sources.  I don't mind either way.  I think I've seen
other Irish stuff that dropped the clef at the start too: you assume
treble, trusting that St Patrick drove the others out of Ireland.

You can do wonders of compression with nested repeats.  There is a
sheet in Murdoch Henderson's manuscripts titled "64 Great Scottish
Reels in A Major", and he gets them all on one side, one line each,
64 lines (the sheet is the size of a folded tabloid page).  There's
no hint in the manuscripts of why he wanted to do this in the first
place.  Must have taken him days.