"Laurie Griffiths" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> John Walsh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> asked "... are nested repeats common in
> serious music?..."
>
> Muse allows nested repeats because it fell out of the code and would have
> needed extra work to ban them, but I have never seen any music printed to be
> played from that actually uses them.  I think it would be a disaster.  Like
> John I have heard music go wrong in live performances because musicians
> couldn't find the start repeat sign in time.  On some occasions the wrong
> notes seemed to be coming from somewhere extremely close to me (at the time
> though I was too busy trying to find the repeat sign to pay much attention).

I have seen a couple of pieces of music, typeset with NoteWorthy that
uses nested repeats.  The outer repeats (which covered the entire
work) were drawn light, while the inner repeats were drawn bold.  The
entire work had a (A2B2)2 structure (or similar, I'd have to
double-check), so the first two repeat starts were adjacent, and
*obviously* different.

--
Buddha Buck                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"I will not die an ironic death" -- Scott Ian, lead singer for
the metal band Anthrax, after bioterrorist attacks using anthrax.