> Here is another question. A friend asked me last night whether I knew
> of a site where she could search for tunes by author - rather than by
> title. I don't - have only searched by title myself. Does anyone out
> there know of one?

You're in luck if the composer you're after is Ed Reavy, G.S. MacLennan
or Thomas Morley.  Anybody else...

The problem is that very few people put the composer's name in the ABC
when encoding a tune, so it isn't yet worth anybody's while putting
this in search engine code.

What would help: if search engines, when returning tunes, could also
search for other copies of the tune (identifying them just by name to
start with, anything else is too hard) that have a C: line, and tell
you about it (sometimes you would get false matches, the results would
need human discrimination to interpret).

You have an interesting problem with names.   There are tunes out there
attributed in the score to

   GS McLennan
   G.S. McLennan
   G.S. MacLennan
   P.-M. G.S. McLennan
   George S. Mac Lennan
   George Stewart McLennan
   Pipe-Major George S. McLennan, The Gordon Highlanders

and that's without getting into the Gaelic ways you can spell it.  How
many of him are there?