>| You can try to get ABC convenient, readable, close to some staff
>| notation or what ever you wan't. But first of all you must keep (or
>| get) it to contain unique (well formed or well defined if you want)
>| information.
>Well, now; I'm not sure I'd agree with that. Granted, I'd like to see
>such  a  computerized  notation, and I suspect that both the lilypond
>and MusicML people are making good progress toward such a goal. But I
>don't  think  that we should push ABC in this direction.  ABC's niche
>that led to its success is that  it's  a  relatively  simple,  basic,
>plain-text notation that is compact and mailable.  It doesn't require
>a sophisticated UI; it can be typed (and read) by mere humans.   None
>of  this  would  be true of any notation that is well formed and well
>defined.

Predicate calculus is simpler than ABC and as "well formed and well
defined" as anybody could want.  It's sloppy, ill-defined notations
that need fancy user interfaces.

As far as I can see (from examples Laura has sent me) lilypond is
nowhere near in the same league of precision as ABC - it's a random
grab-bag of typesetting hacks.