Buddha Buck wrote off-list (the best place) to the effect that
<snip>
One thing I hear from your comment is that the MS Apps folks had access to
pre-release API's to base their apps on.
<snip>
Which meant that the MS App folks got a head-start on development on the
new versions
<snip>

and I replied (off-list)

Correct!  I believe that to be the valid complaint.  It was 2-edged (the
early, changing versions of OLE were a nightmare, they broke schedules, they
broke marriages and they broke people) but still valid.  I have been out
since '96 so I don't know if it still goes on.

I would add that I personally think that the conspiracy theories are tosh
and that businesses are *supposed* to compete but people don't like it when
they win.  Most businesses play as close to the rules as they can and
sometimes they step over the mark.  In the case of the Netscape thing, MS
was badly frightened and felt it was fighting for its life, it was so far
behind.

I don't think that big monopolies are a good thing, but the nature of the
economics of scale in software tends to produce them and we need new law
which we haven't got (neither in the US nor elsewhere).  Enough.

I'm concerned that this is a non-ABC thread so I'll stop here and only reply
further off-line, but I thought I should reply to this lest I be seen as an
MS PR bod (which I am not!).

Laurie